Veronica Woo, an innovative teacher from Malaysia, organized an extravaganza two weeks ago. The library was booked so that we could videoconference with skype using the Interactive White Board to project the web conference. A number of classes from year 6 to 11 were present – a total of more than 45 students and 6 staff members.
Year 11 students from SMJK Poi Lam School in Ipoh, Malaysia, demonstrated to and treated us with the following:-
- Malay dance performance
- Demonstration on how to play ‘congkak’
- Demonstration on how to beat the Malay drum ‘kompang’
- Brief introduction of a Malay wedding
- Demonstration on paper money-folding ( folded items are given as Bridal gifts to families concerned )
- Ended the web conference with a song!
Three of our year 6/7 students learnt how to dance the Malay Dance by following the Malay girl’s movements on screen. Most students had an Australian paper note to practise folding the paper money.
In turn, our students and staff demonstrated the following:-
- a bearded dragon lizard
- a pet colourful baby bird
- how to play Australian Rules Football (footy)
- vegemite and how to spread it on a dry biscuit
It is always great to see that the sharing of objects over the web cam, makes students overcome their shyness, as their curiousity drives them to naturally ask questions about the object.