25 students participated in the secondary Mid West Cross Country event at Lake Bolac this Tuesday. On a fine and sunny day we brought home two first places, one second and one third, with an overall result of 4th place. Congratulations to all those students who participated and a special mention to the following students for their exemplary performances:
Nikky Jewel – 17 year old female First place
Chris Edwards – 16 year old male First place
Stephanie Watson – 15 year old female Second place
Rachel McGrath – 15 year old female Third place
As usual it has been another very busy week at Hawkesdale P12 College – here is a sample of some of the learning activities taking place:
- Our Year 7 students started a unit on Cells in science and used the compound light microscopes to observe plant tissue.
- Prem, one of our year 10 students, cooked chicken parmagianas (with chips and salad or mashed potato and vegetables) for many of our hungry staff members. At $5.00 each, it was a cheap and delicious hot meal.
- Year 10 students are travelling to Deakin University in Geelong on Friday, to attend the Rotary Science and Engineering Challenge. We have been sponsored by Rotary and Southern Rural Water, so there is no cost to students. This event aims to encourage students to consider a career in the science or engineering fields by offering a range of challenges to plan, create and construct bridges, boats, electricity networks and other activities.
- Year 7 Science and Year 11 Biology students had the opportunity to dissect rats to observe the digestive, respiratory and reproductive sytems.
- Year 9 students walked part of the Port Fairy to Koroit Rail Trail and will visit again to assist the Rail trail Committee with revegetation projects.
- Mr Webb constructed a “Great Wall of China” from play-dough and sugar cubes fin preparation for his junior Chinese classes.
- Our secondary athletes who qualified for the South West Zone competition attended Brauerander Park to compete in their events.
Last Friday, 24th April, students from year 7 to 12 attended the Mid West Complex Athletic Sports, competing against Derrinallum, Mortlake, Lake Bolac and Beaufort secondary schools. It was Hawkesdale’s turn to host the event at Brauerander Park, so we supplied event supervisors, judges, time-keepers, announcers and canteen staff. Despite the wet weather, we had a significant number of students participate and compete successfully. Congratulations to the following students, who won their events and will represent Hawkesdale at the Western Zone Athletics competition at Brauerander Park on Thursday 30th April:
Monique B.,Ben C.,Chloe B.,Chris E., Emily H., Edward H., Melissa J. ,Joe L., Grace L., Taylor M., Courtney M.,Tavish M., Lauren P., Levi N., Charles N., Jayden R., Trent T., George S., Joshua S. and
James N.. Well done and Good Luck for the Zone competition!