Melbourne Work Experience

work experience

Year 11 students are currently undertaking a two week program of work experience. The majority of students are working in Melbourne. For many this means exposure to a ‘whole new world’! The city is so different to the country. Students have to be able to self navigate themselves to work catching a variety of transportation – trams, trains, buses and walking. They are exposed to many different cultures and types of food. Budgets are limited so keeping their finances in order is a priority and finding healthy but cheaper eats essential!

There are night activities to undertake – exploring the nature of the Melbourne CBD, ice skating, lighting festivals, public gallery walks in the laneways, the movies, risk taking by going out on “The Edge” at the top of Eureka Sky Deck and so much more.

A variety of work experiences have been organised for these students giving them a taste of what big cities offer, as exposure to a variety of businesses and occupations, is limited in small country towns or rural areas.

This entry was posted in work experience and tagged , by murch. Bookmark the permalink.

About murch

Hi, I am Anne Mirtschin, a secondary teacher who teaches commerce and IT. In 2007, I am teaching grade 3 through to year 12 IT. My passions include the use of web2.0, podcasting and multimedia including digital animations. I teach at Hawkesdale prep to year 12 College, a small country school in Western Victoria, Australia. This year our school has been granted a rich picture case studies grant where we will work with grade 6 students on pod/vidcasting and the volunteers at the Penshurst Volcano Discovery Centre to produce podcasts for the centre and surrounding volcanic district, called Kanawinka.