The doves have mailed in!

Opening the parcel from Israel

Opening the parcel from Israel

This term Go-Getters grade under the guidance of their teacher, Tyna Lee,  have linked up with a Grade 5 class at Huberman School in Israel. We have been emailing with their teacher, Mrs Hanita Han and decided to have a toy-exchange. This week we received a large parcel from them which included many goodies & letters.

The contents included a huge Israel flag, lots of mini-flags and a giant toy caterpillar. Another of their gifts were some toy doves as a symbol for peace. The Go-Getters class have decided to take turns taking responsibility for the doves. This will include taking them home for a few days and keeping a diary of their adventures. Pupils will write about their lives in Australia and where possible include photographs. At the end of term we will send the scrapbook diaries back to Israel.

go getter

What we learnt from the contents of the box and from connecting with Hanita Hen’s class:-

Logan: they write in different to us

Max: I learnt that the doves were white and not black as I thought

George: that they have different letters in alphabet to us

Emily: they have 22 letters in the alphabet, we have 26

Kayden: what the flag looks like

Adam: I didn’t know the flag was blue

Nigel: I liked the caterpillar

Max: that they write from the bottom to the top and from right and left

Hudson: they right from top to bottom and right to left and that they are the same age as us, mostly.

Lana: There can be lots of war around them

Alice: that Hanita couldn’t find a stuffed dove, so she sent little feathered doves instead with a stuffed caterpillar

Felicity the doves mean peace

Jemima: the houses look different to ours in Jerusalem

Jessie: I learnt where they live – petach, tikva Israel

tom: They have different letters to our alphabet. We saw them on the caterpillar that they sent us

This entry was posted in Global connections and tagged , , , , by murch. Bookmark the permalink.

About murch

Hi, I am Anne Mirtschin, a secondary teacher who teaches commerce and IT. In 2007, I am teaching grade 3 through to year 12 IT. My passions include the use of web2.0, podcasting and multimedia including digital animations. I teach at Hawkesdale prep to year 12 College, a small country school in Western Victoria, Australia. This year our school has been granted a rich picture case studies grant where we will work with grade 6 students on pod/vidcasting and the volunteers at the Penshurst Volcano Discovery Centre to produce podcasts for the centre and surrounding volcanic district, called Kanawinka.