Rubicon Year 9/10 Camp Report

Codes96 has written a the following wonderful report on the Rubicon Camp.

The year nine and ten camp this year was to go to Rubicon, or the snow camp and on Monday the 19th of July we arrived there after 7 long hours on a train and bus. The camp, based 3 hours from Melbourne, was large, equipped with all the essentials for 30-40 kids to have a massive outdoor adventure.

Day 1

We learned the basic rules of the camp and mixed with the other school from Birchip. We then were finally told we could go into our dormitories and get ready for what was coming. It was after that we collected our water proofs, set our duties for the coming days and  were then allowed some free time in the hall. The hall is a place to play table tennis, pool and foosball along with loads of other games. We then had tea (Curried chicken) and desert. Then Jody taught us the basics of skiing. By then we thought it was easy.

Day 2

After an early morning (seven o’clock start and a wake up song of some 80’s music) we had breakfast and went straight into our day’s activities. Group A went skiing, while my group B and group C were mountain biking. We travelled roughly 6-10km along both dirt and bitumen. The trail was quite easy although some people fell behind and struggled (including Mr Matters). After getting back late, we ate the last of the soup for lunch and quickly headed to the high ropes corse to challenge us on the high ropes course. We had a choice of both high and low ropes, both including thin ropes to walk along and slippery logs, and after we completed we went down either of the flying foxes. After getting back quite early we had extra free time to do what we wanted, play around camp, be challenged on the bouldering wall, play any number of sports, and settle down quietly in our dorms. After a great tea of spaghetti bolognaise, Mr Matters challenged us at a trivia night.

Day 3

Another early morning, another breakfast but today we had to be ready earlier, for both groups B and C to go toLake Mountain for a whole day of skiing. The start was a struggle of trying to put on boots and gators then a extremely tight hour long bus ride interspersed with humour from Phil. We finally made it up the long bending road. We collected the skis and tramped up the mountain, first learning how to put on skis and how to climb up hills. It wasn’t too hard until we reached the point were we had to go down hill. The emergency stop consists of falling over, but even worse was the snow plough, or stopping without falling. This was one of the hardest things I’ve tried. Most of the time we fell, only one or two people seemed to master it on their second or third attempts, one of these was Chelsea who seemed to be a freak at it. On the opposite was Belinda who fell over every time she tried something, or do anything. After practicing it a little more we headed along a trail after having lunch. This was to a 1.4 km down hill were everyone stacked.

We then headed home- everyone desperate for a hot shower and dry clothes. We had tea and dessert and watched the video of us ‘stacking’.

Day 4

Last activity day. Today we could choose what to do. The options were to either have another day skiing, a day of white water rafting or an explorer day. I chose skiing where we headed along at a fast pace and tried harder moves. On this day that I did a perfect snow plough and most people were mastering it.

The explorer people went snow shoeing, where they went for a quiet walk around Lake Mountain. And the rafting people went to a close by river and challenged themselves rafting. They said that it was very wet and it was very rough.

This was the last night so we returned our gear and packed our stuff after a night of photo shooting, making and doing weird things and taking photos of it.

Day 5

We headed off to the train station by bus at 9 o’clock, then an hours shopping at Southern Cross station. It was then when we finally headed off back to Warrnambool by quarter past four.

Highlights

• Having great skiing lessons because they were heaps different to what we do at home, there isn’t a snow, or snowy mountains around home.
  • Going mountain bike riding, it was different and a challenge to go up and down steep hills, and winding our way through sharp turns.
  • The high ropes course, the challenge to go so high and complete it, it gave a feel of success.

Reflections

This camp has challenged me, to one be able to go so high on the high ropes, it also challenge my stamina riding the mountain bikes and it also made me use skills I’ve never used eg skiing. In skiing I’ve also had to have courage to be able to go down the massive slope. But even in breakfast duty, I’ve challenged my self to do jobs that previously I would have left for someone else.

A big thanks to all the Rubicon staff, students involved and our school teachers for such a great time. I would highly recommend this camp to all other students.

This entry was posted in camps and tagged , by murch. Bookmark the permalink.

About murch

Hi, I am Anne Mirtschin, a secondary teacher who teaches commerce and IT. In 2007, I am teaching grade 3 through to year 12 IT. My passions include the use of web2.0, podcasting and multimedia including digital animations. I teach at Hawkesdale prep to year 12 College, a small country school in Western Victoria, Australia. This year our school has been granted a rich picture case studies grant where we will work with grade 6 students on pod/vidcasting and the volunteers at the Penshurst Volcano Discovery Centre to produce podcasts for the centre and surrounding volcanic district, called Kanawinka.