Melbourne Camp – Year 5

melbourne camp year 5- resized

Congratulations to the students in year 5, on their fabulous behaviour on this week’s 3 day school camp to Melbourne. We had a great time because everyone was so willing to cooperate, do the right thing and make this a fabulously fun experience. We went to the brilliant Melbourne Icehouse where 20 students started off shakily on iceskates, and ended up speed racing each other by the end of the 2 hours. A special mention to Mrs Butters who lasted way longer than Mrs Brown or Ms Murnane, and who actually made it across the ice with only one fall. We then went on a one hour cruise down the Yarra River, followed by a really interesting tour around the MCG. We finished off that night with a visit to Laser Skirmish where the teachers were well and truly silenced by cheeky children who were determined to make sure our laser lives were short. A game of 10 pin bowling and an icecream at Southbank, finished off a fun first day. Both the laser skirmish and the 10 Pin Bowling are located in the Galactic Circus, the largest indoor interactive theme park in Australia.

On the remaining 2 days, we saw a brilliant 3D movie at IMAX called Ghosts of the Abyss.This movie is about the TITANIC and movie director James Cameron’s dive to the bottom of the ocean, some 3.8kms deep, on an adventure back to the final grave of this beautiful ship, almost a century ago. “In this unprecedented motion picture event, made especially for IMAX 3D Theatres, Cameron and his team bring audiences to sights not seen since the sinking 98 years ago and explore why the landmark vessel – more than any shipwreck – continues to intrigue and fascinate the public.”

We then took part in a role play at the Old Melbourne Gaol, called a Courtroom Drama, followed by a really interesting tour of the Gaol itself. This included lots of information and a couple of ghost stories which made the hair stand up on the back of our necks. During the afternoon, we visited the Melbourne Zoo where we managed to see Mali, the baby elephant, still playing with his mum. Dinner that evening was at Universal Pizza in the famous Lygon St in Carlton, where we enjoyed pizza and pasta – all you can eat. (Ask Paddy how many slices of pizza he managed to eat!) We finished day 2 with a trip to the top of the Eureka Tower, which includes a very fast trip up in the elevator, which covers 8 metres per second!

Our final day was spent at the Melbourne Museum, seeing the Titanic Exhibition. “This fascinating exhibition features over 280 real artefacts recovered from the ocean floor along with room re creations and personal stories; each highlighting a different chapter in the compelling story of Titanic’s maiden voyage in 1912.” An hour and a half at the Queen Victoria Market, completed our awesome visit to Melbourne and we arrived home after a 3 hour train trip, to the Warrnambool Railway Station. This trip was an awesome experience and thanks must go to Mrs Butters who did the bulk of the organisation and to the beautifully behaved students who allowed us to have so much fun.

10 thoughts on “Melbourne Camp – Year 5

1. WOW Mrs Murnane, you got everything in that post! I really liked the Melbourne camp, especially how you, Mrs Butters and Mrs Brown were with us. My favourite part was the ice skating, apart from the blisters, rashes and bruises from falling over.

2. Tee hee – forgot to mention the blisters, bruises and rashes at the ice skating Alannah. I can assure you, that all 3 teachers enjoyed the company of you children as well. It was just a lovely time away together. I’m so pleased you enjoyed it as much as we did. Thanks for your comment.

3. My favourite part was the ice skating as well. It was so fun and I didn’t fall over once which is quite amazing!! I also liked the zoo because I love elephants and I took lot’s of photos of them!

4. My favourite thing on camp was the laser skirmish and Ice skating. It was really fun except for the huge rash I got on my leg. The worst part of it was having to wait on the train to get back home.

5. I know how many pieces of pizza Patty ate 10 but arfter he felt sick and couldnt go up the eureka skydeck.

6. The Melbourne Camp was ok I would not do it again. I do not like Melbourne it has to many people and traffic at night there was a lot of noise.

7. I really had fun at Melbourne.The best part was ice skating and victorian market. I had to buy a present for my sister because the day we left was her birthday.