Sensational Visit from Dr Bill Williams

Dr Williams made 2 presentations to students in our library. Here he is working with a group of year 8 students.

The title of Dr Williams' presentation "Who gave you permission to mess with my future?" was generated by Ivy, one of our year 8 students.

Dr Bill Williams spent the day with us at Hawkesdale P12, talking to groups of students and working online in an Elluminate Session. Dr Williams covered all areas concerning nuclear weapons, including the history, the current situation and ideas on how we can influence world leaders to abolish these hideous weapons. The students were enthralled by his engaging presentation and we thank him sincerely for giving up his time to come down to the Western District and spend the day with us. An online recording of Dr Williams’ presentation can be found on the Elluminate site.

students listening in elluminate

Enormous thanks to, to Mrs Murch for her assistance in running the Elluminate session. She really is a very generous person with her time and has a wealth of technical knowledge. We are really lucky to have Mrs Murch in our school.

2 thoughts on “Sensational Visit from Dr Bill Williams

1. Marg, I thought these sessons were fantastic and thank you for organising them. The school has been generous to me in giving me time to learn about and explore technology, so I am only too pleased to help. Elluminate is a fantastic tool, which I think epitomizes the power of technology in education.
    Bill was an experienced and engaging speaker, he watched for the student questions in the chat, answered these questions and then picked up his presentation where he left off. I loved the global audience content. Here are our students from a small rural school in a classroom with many teachers, including some from the USA and Canada and towards the end, a teacher from Latin America.
    Learning can be at the ‘grass roots’ and having a global presence discussing a global issue, must help the cause for abolishing nuclear weapons. It is hoped that our school and students might be able to lead the way! Thanks again.

2. Wow Anne – my thoughts exactly. The push to rid the world of nuclear weapons CAN come from the hearts and minds of ordinary people and it is quite feasible, that student voices, such as those that are emanating from Hawkesdale P12, can lead the way. The message must get out there – and make it to the ears of the world leaders. Our greatest enemy is apathy and ignorance. The global technology we used on Friday, has enormous potential to act as a tool for change. Who knows where that particular conference might lead to? I imagine a couple of those international teachers will do something with their students, and then their teacher friends may do something with their students etc – which will all be ripple effects from a stone dropped in a pond at Hawkesdale P12 College. It is really exciting to think that our little rurally isolated voices from down under, could generate global change!